Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

MOLL FLANDERS


This book started rather slow, but the more I read the better the story became. After some time I already couldn’t put it down. I know this type of writing is not considered popular, for it consists of narrative and is mostly deprived of dialogues, but I loved the writing style (I began writing The Billion-Dollar Girl soon after I had read this book; apparently I was heavily influenced by the narrative style).

It was also interesting to find out about the lifestyle, habits, and customs of 17th-century England, and how people survived back then. Just imagine, you could change your name, and no one would even know who you really were, whether you were married, or had children, etc.
Of course, finding out the truth was not impossible. One only needed to make inquiries, but people back then were not overly suspicious as we are now. 

So Moll Flanders had 5 husbands (she was guilty in bigamy), and one of her husbands appeared to be her brother, 7 children (if I recollect correctly) whom she abandoned in the searches of better life, then became a whore, a thief, was sent to Newgate prison, and in the end reached the New World.

It was a long journey of a woman who was trying to survive in a hard world where women do not have much choice. 
I loved this book. I loved the character of Moll Flanders. Though immoral and wicked, she was strong, determined, and was a survivor. 

One of the best adaptations of a novel I have seen. Great sets, correct mood, and fine actors.
Alex Kingston gives an incredible performance.


No comments:

Post a Comment