Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Stephen King: The Rolling Stone Interview

In case you have missed this, Stephen King is interviewed by The Rolling Stone. He talks about his career, religion, money, and writing. It's always interesting to learn more about the King of Horror. Glad to see King agrees with me that The Tommyknockers is terrible, as well as The Dreamcatcher. I remember being bored out of my mind with these books. So bored that I began skipping pages--something I had never done before. But despite that, the ending of The Tommyknockers was awesome. I'm talking about the last 2-3 sentences, where--SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS--Gard is lying in the pool of his own blood and the flying saucer is hovering farther into the space, taking him into the unknown and the unexplored. And still, I'm not going to say that those 600+ pages were worth it. What I'm going to say is that The Tommyknockers were ten times better than the The Dreamcatcher. If The Tommyknockers were reminiscent of the Invasion of the Body Snatchers, then The Dreamcatcher was a more perverted type of the Alien. Turns out there can be something worse than aliens bursting out of your chest while you're alive, and that is when aliens burst out of your butt while you're alive. I thought maybe the movie adaptation would be better, but can you keep a serious face when Morgan Freeman's eyebrows look like this?
 
Yeah, neither could I.

Oh, and The Tommyknockers and The Dreamcatcher are not King's only bad books. I am on the 900th page of Under the Dome, and I can't remember a time when I had to struggle so much to finish a book. I don't even know if it's a thriller, a sci-fi, or just Santa-Barbara TV series. But I can swear with my life it's not scary. And not even thrilling. It's just a bunch of guys under the dome being nasty to each other, good guys doing idiotic things, bad guys failing to spread menace. 
So why am I still reading King? Oh, right, I need to learn to write in English. I meant to say to write well.

No comments:

Post a Comment