Search This Blog

Monday, June 29, 2015

Terminator (1984) vs Terminator (2015)

I've probably mentioned a few times that Terminator (1984) is my all time favorite movie. I loved Terminator 2: Judgment Day as well, but whatever came after doesn't even deserve to carry the same title.
And now, we're going to be served with another bastardized version that is Terminator: Genisys. Why, oh why? Surely for the money, but this looks so bad I wonder if it won't flop. And the cast! Who in their right mind did the casting for this movie? Emilia Clark aka Daenerys Targaryen as Sarah Connor? Really?

This is who Sarah Connor is:

She's strong, she's tough, she's a badass fighter who can stand against the whole world. Plus, Linda is outstanding as Sarah. Her face, her body, her voice, everything is so perfect. Also, Linda Hamilton is just a very good actress, which is hard to say about baby-faced Emilia and her wooden acting.

So the studio execs want to tell me that this is Sarah Connor?
Why does she always carry this same "I'm-a-little-lost-helpless-Targaryen-princess" look? Sarah Connor was young and scared in Terminator (1984), but she was never inept, and her voice didn't sound so weak and childish. I also can't say anything good about the new Kyle Reese. I can't remember the name of the actor, but for me, the only Kyle Reese is Michael Biehn.

Linda and Michael are the only Sarah and Kyle I want to know. Besides, Terminator is not just one of the best sci-fi movies in the world, it also tells one of the most beautiful love stories.
 

I won't be watching Terminator: Genisys.

3 comments:

  1. I often squabble with myself when it comes to remakes and sequels and prequels, and yes, a large part of them stems from money, but also, from a writer, director, and actor point of view, it's their chance to add their voice to the story...and yes, they're not always the best renditions, but we should at least give them a chance. I love the first Terminator also, but the second one was almost ruined for me by their choice of Edward Furlong...I don't care for him as an actor, but I still gave it a chance and the story line saved it for me; however, we won't even mention the third installment...but Christian Bale's film is worth salvaging. Overall, I do agree with you; especially when I see the lack of creativity arising from mainstream cinema.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate sounding like an obsessed fangirl, but I do love T1 (and T2), and dislike anything that came afterwards. I think it might be because of the era. The movies of the 80s and 90s have a certain charm that the 2000s lack. Bale's Terminator was too noisy for me. I turned it off after some time. T3 was an abomination. The SC Chronicles do not interest me. And Genisys looks terrible. But I'll never get tired of T1 and T2. Maybe it's because of Jim Cameron? He's an outstanding writer and director. Or maybe it's because those movies were not just about robots and explosions, but carried a message? A cyborg becomes more humane than the humans are (T2).

      Ah, Eddie Furlong, poor kid. I had a bit of a crush on him (I was very young back then). A while ago I was checking his IMdB page and couldn't believe what he had done to himself o.O

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete