Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials #3) by Philip Pullman

The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3)The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Dear God, it’s over. I have no idea why the author turned one of the most interesting characters in a children’s literature into a weak, boring Mary-Sue. I lost the count of how many times the once strong-willed and bold Lyra said “Oh, Will,” “what shall we do, Will?” “Ahh, Will,” “please, Will.”
And I absolutely didn’t care about the uninteresting and blank Will. I loved Lyra, despite that she was a little lying rascal; she was a fun character. I understand that Pullman wanted to show her growth and change, but for some reason the daring Lyra went through so many dangers and troubles and turned into a wishy-washy 13 y.o. girl who couldn’t take a step without asking the brave and mighty Will what she had to do now.
I didn’t like anything about this book, and kept reading it just because I had loved (and still do) the first one. I didn’t like Mary Malone, the Mulefa, the Gallivespians, Balthamos and Baruch, the Spectres. I always liked Mrs Coultier, she was a great baddy, but Pullman spoiled her too. At least Serafina Pekkala was more or less her old self.
I liked the ending a bit, because I didn’t like Will and was glad to see him go back to his world. I might even read “Lyra’s Oxford”, because I’m still missing my Lyra from the first book and hope to meet her again.
Overall, I’m glad this book is over. Now I can start something new.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment